Port Chalmers Marine Lodge No 942
Meeting at the Omarunui Masonic Centre, 8 Elbourne Street, Taradale, Hawke's Bay.
The Lodge meets on the third Saturday March, May August and November.
Tyling is at 3.00 pm
The Installation meeting is in August
Informal Lodges of Instruction are on:
A Management Meeting is held on:
(06) 843 0295
Consecrated 27th November 1862
The Lodge was consecrated in Port Chalmers on 27th November 1862. W Bro Ezekiel Nathan first Master of The Dunedin Lodge installed Bro Moritz Samuel Leers as the first Master of Port Chalmers Marine Lodge, and W Bro Sydney James, a member of The Lodge of Otago, assisted the installing officer.
The first Secretary was Henry Thompson who later moved to Christchurch where he joined St Augustine Lodge 609EC, later No.4 NZC. He became Grand Master of the Canterbury District, and later appointed the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand on its formation. The formation of the GLNZ appears not to have impacted significantly on the membership of Port Chalmers Marine, and frequent visits occurred between local lodges of the two constitutions.
The aftermath of WWI included an influenza epidemic, the sale of the Union Steamship Company, many employees of which were PCML members, and the Great Depression, all of which the Lodge managed to survive. Post WWII there was an increase in membership and by 1959 the number of members rose to 115, but from the Lodge centenary in 1962 membership fell to 42 in 1999.
From 2000 onwards the Lodge barely kept afloat, in an attempt to stem the tide in September of 2004 it was resolved to sell the Lodge building in Wickliffe Terrace, and in October it was resolved that PCML become a daylight lodge.
On 27th October 2004 the Lodge voted to return the Charter, and the Warrant transferred to 9A Robert Street Ellerslie Auckland (DGLNINZ) where the Lodge met from 2005 until the 13th September 2008 when W Bro John Miller was installed as the first Master at the new location in Taradale, Napier, Hawke's Bay. The Lodge prospered under his guidance, and with the support of many members not resident in Hawke's Bay.
The Lodge celebrated its sesquicentennial in 2012 under direction of the Master W Bro Bruce MacConnell, the present Secretary. The event was a real festival of Freemasonry with all constitutions well represented, in which the DGM dedicated a magnificent new Lodge banner made possible by the generosity of Aorangi Royal Arch Chapter 2300 EC.
Port Chalmers Marine Lodge remains in good heart with an average membership of 35-40 members. There remains a strong and loyal representation from outside Hawke's Bay from those members who were instrumental in moving the charter to Napier. The Lodge is financially sound, and with four regular meetings annually an attractive proposition for potential members.
All inquiries should be addressed to the Secretary W. Brother Bruce MacConnell